Sunday, March 30, 2014

Help Me

There's one thing I've noticed about people, I spend a lot of time watching people (prefer to watch rather than interact) and that is that nobody helps anyone anymore. People are so caught up in their own self importance (this is a generalisation - I know not everybody is like this) that they forget to help anyone.

A few weeks ago a met a young woman that I'll call Sally. Sally had just moved into town with her partner from elsewhere within this state (is basically a farm girl) and was looking for work. We chatted when she came up to ask a few questions when she was walking her dog and I was feeding my horses (she's a horsey girl so there was common ground). She asked about work in the town. I was honest. This town can be pretty difficult to get work in if you're new to the area and have no connections. It's pretty brutal. When I was made redundant from my last admin job, it took me 4 1/2 months to find something suitable. I've been gainfully employed for the last 8 months and I'm in no hurry to move on from where I am. The hours suit me and the money is OK.  I'm digressing a bit.

While Sally told me her story I thought to myself, I've been in your shoes. Many years ago when I first moved to a rather remote capital city interstate I knew nobody. Had no friends, no family and was completely isolated from all that was familiar. It sucked being alone. I said to myself (once I got away from there and found my way home again) that if I ever met someone in a similar situation to what I was back then, I'd do my best to help them in any way I could.

I told Sally that I'd add her on Facebook and I'd send her a heap of links to employment websites and would help her with her resume if needs be. Turns out she only has her Automatic Driver's Licence and wants to get her manual licence. Now I don't know this young woman from a bar of soap but I offered to help her with driving. I've a manual car and I'm generally pretty patient (though I have my moments) and I said I'd take her out for a drive before she sat her exam. I also said I'd accompany her to her driving exam and she could use my car for it. I know I'm taking a big risk. I know that she's a complete stranger but there was something in the way she talked and how she spoke that lit a spark within me as something of a kindred spirit. 

I'm going to go out on a limb for someone, not because I feel obliged to, but because I want to help. It's not fun being alone in a place that is foreign to you. If I can help just one person (and she seemed pretty darn depressed when I met her) and make a difference in their life, even if it's only small, it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment