Friday, May 24, 2013

You Drive Me Crazy!

This week has been kinda busy. My previous employer has asked me to come back for some casual work over the next few weeks. It kinda puts a dent in the monotony of scouring the employment webpages in the ever increasingly vain hope that I'll find a job I can actually get! 

Seeing as I'm doing a bit more driving to and from places along with chauffeuring said child from pillar to post I've noticed some increasingly bizarre driving behaviour. A few weeks ago it'd be practically unheard of to almost run into (bad pun) other drivers driving like demented squash balls careering around a court with the sole purpose of smacking you in the head and rendering you unconscious (I'm only assuming a squash ball can do this, I've never actually played squash but I've watched others partake in the sport). I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out what it is that's causing this unusual shift in driving behaviours and then it dawned on me. The weather has changed.

In the last couple of weeks the weather has gone from bright, hot, humid sultriness to overcast drizzly semi winter dreariness. People must be getting SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and getting really grumpy. This week alone I've nearly had several accidents. Yesterday I was driving through a set of traffic lights, in the right hand lane of an outbound dual lane that has the left hand lane merge into the right (oncoming traffic to the right of me as per our backward drive on the left Aussie normality). There was nothing beside me until this woman in a mad rush in her white SUV comes charging through the inside lane almost driving me up onto the median strip. Thankfully my brakes work along with my horn to which she thrusts her right arm out the window flipping me the bird only to turn left into the high school car park not 100m from the merging lane.

This left me quite confumbled. What on earth possesses a person to do that? It just doesn't make sense. Are we as a society in that much of a hurry that we must thrust ourselves in front of people just to gain those extra split seconds of time? It really must be a thing because that afternoon, as I was driving home from work I had a provisional driver ride the ass end of my car like a raging haemmorhoid (for those that are wondering her car was red too). While it annoys me that people cut me off, it really grinds my gears to have someone tailgating. I tapped my brakes in the vain hope to get her off my ass but she'd fall back momentarily only to ride it again. This occurred for a good few minutes as I had the misfourtune of her following me almost all the way home. Maybe I'm not an aggressive enough driver? Maybe I just don't have that desperate urgency to be somewhere yesterday! Maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old woman (if you can call a thirtysomething old - I know I've got the grumpy down pat)?

Oh well, at least it's Friday and I have a weekend to myself for the most part. Maybe I should limit my driving to that of a keyboard instead of a car.

Edit

As a small mercy at least I got my smartphone back yesterday after having to go back to my old phone for over a week. Turns out my smartphone was a dirty whore and filthy on the inside which had shorted out the antenna (from what the technician at my service provider could tell me). At least that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment